Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 1 - Traveling






Well, it took 42 hours of traveling, but I finally made it to Singapore!  

Along the way, I had a 7 hour layover at JFK, so shot into Brooklyn to grab a beverage with Victor (my roommate when I lived in Luxembourg and a fellow adventurer and Miami University alum).  Meeting up with him was actually my first trip into NYC!  Looking forward to spending more time with him on the return to Cleveland.

After a 14 hour flight, I arrived in Seoul, Korea.  We landed at 4am, and my next flight was scheduled for 4:10pm, so I waited until the buses started running, grabbed some breakfast and took a 1 hour ride into the city center.  The flowers are gorgeous in Seoul!  Plants were flowering everywhere, adding color accents in reds, pinks and white to the green foliage.  Got off the bus at the Ankung station and spent some time looking at the trinkets on display at one of the old, narrow, stone paved market streets in town.  Funny, lots of the trinkets there were labelled "Made in China," which actually seemed wholly appropriate since they were chopstick, asian art, buddhas and whatnot.  After the market I wandered to one of the old palaces, where they were performing a traditional changing of the guard ceremony.  Then I jumped back on the bus and caught my flight out.

I leave for Kathmandu on Saturday, so I have a few days here in Singapore to iron out details with Grant, ensure our gear list is covered, get in some extra training, and let the body adjust to the different time zone.   

  

3 comments:

  1. thanks for doing this! now i don't have to spend money to go on the trip...just make sure to do the best you can to keep it up!

    have fun and be safe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I don't understand is how you can be on your way to nearly 30 countries and NOT have seen NYC. Geez, Loufman. Get it together! :-)

    Cool that you're keeping a blog. You might just be worthy enough to post on MY blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy Singapore, bro. It's awesome... my favorite city in Asia by far. Have a Sling in the Raffles Long Bar if you get the chance =) I'm only up to 19 countries myself...

    ReplyDelete